Followers

February 21, 2013


The Audacity to Try

When I was a kid, I took apart toasters. The repairs didn’t last long. I remember lots of re-repairs. I was rewarded for my efforts with a few more grilled cheeses and enough praise that I kept trying. It turns out that toasters are incredibly simple machines, and either a spring breaks or a wire burns out and a few simple tools can turn a surly adolescent into that days hero. Toasters too are more complicated in this century but there are still simple solutions to stumble over.

The recurring theme to my tinkering was luck, or dust, or perhaps both. I took apart so many things as a kid, before processors and microchips, that I was bound to fix a few. The strange thing was that so often I would take something apart, find no obvious breakage, reassemble it, usually with a leftover something, and it would work!?  The dust principle?, I would usually not admit that it wasn’t me who “fixed” it, but rather mere providence, perhaps it had in fact been designed with one screw-thingy too many! Perhaps it too simply wanted to be trespassed!?


The Audacity to try is a meme I see this often in my life, today it was installing printer software. Is it the clicking “accept” with reckless abandon?, as if I understood what I was up to?  After trying , in so many ways, to connect my wifi printer to my wifi computer, so my wife could use her ancient macbook, I don’t understand why it works, even a little, but it does. I remember in the 90’s, the first time I said “sure, I’m a plumber”, It was a job in Oakland and I was the architect and general contractor and why, I reasoned, should I invite a plumber in to have all the fun.  I learned a lot about plumbing on that job, and threw away enough plastic plumbing pipe to increase my as yet unknown carbon footprint into the reaches of a polar bear or two, but I tried, and eventually succeeded, despite a tough building inspector (heartless to my memory) out to teach me a lesson.  Even today, I have a client who hired me to install radiators here in Bordeaux.  Well, I have the time and not enough brains to say “er, ummm, radiateurs?”  But they are simple enough, and now I know radiators!  I feel like Neo. 

Here at home, where its easier to try, and try again... we had an electrical problem in the name of not-enough-ness, and after months of searching solutions with the electric company (think French Bureaucracy) I stumbled upon the advice to install a “delesteur”.  I had the electrician write it down, then I looked it up, then I found a friend with an idle one and set to installing it.  Several “sessions” later, and several mail order parts to complete the configuration (I felt like I was sourcing “overthrusters” for John BigBotte), I had everything installed, but it wasn’t working.  I was set to call the electrician, the one that said he’d have fired me if I worked for him, and have him come in and fix my mess, and Voila, it was working, we were de-listing, it all made sense!  The dust motes had flown off to gum up some other part of my life....
Delesteur


We made a kid, that was a cliff,  and he’s 15 today, a great kid, and I hope somehow he sees this spirit and it rubs off just enough to kindle a can-do lifestyle.  We tried a new restaurant this week, Fernand’s, it was excellent and authentic and while I wouldnt sign up for the local lamprioe (fish) in red wine sauce, I did tuck into the snails of the sea!  Perhaps they were tiny bulots? I never found out, but they were close enough to a few things I did recognize, so why not eat the funny mollusk?  Does that rhyme with audacity?  No, I suppose not.  We did replace our windows with double vitrage, insulated glass. It was against my better judgement, I was told it couldn’t be done, but I divined a way to rout out the existing old windows and replace the warped and liquid glass with a new compromise to sound waves and cold temperatures.  It does seem snugger in the house, and it didn’t take too long, but my system worked, and we are the only house on the block with old AND insulated windows


It’s kind of the Jump-Off-a-Cliff scenario, one which has served me well/poorly all my life. If I don’t jump, then I’ll regret it.  If I don’t rise to the challenge, then I’ll have been defeated and someone else will jump in my place. Did I mention there is deep water at the bottom of the cliff?  I’m not simply stupid.  I feel like its not always necessary to know what one is doing, that there is value in the unknown, and pretty quickly the unknown becomes the known.  I rebuilt the engine of my Volkswagen van, all the bolts and springs and pistons and gaskets...WTF...and put it back together, and it ran! It ran me from Providence to Frisco!  That was a big TRY.


My Audacity to try, is rooted in a cocktail of simplicity, intuition, and ability.  I have often thought that I know just enough to get myself in trouble. To a fault I seek the simple solution, and while it works with toasters and architecture and occasionally cocktails (clementine  cosmos), efficiency is found faster from people and plastics, I should hire people to do what I am not expert at and replace old instead of repairing it. But my life is not about efficiency, as I said, its more about being simple. Fortunately, the older I get, the easier it is.



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

When уou аге maіntаining a heаlthy Rasρbеrry Ketones.


my weblog; buy raspberry ketones

Anonymous said...

When I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is
added I get four emails with the exact same comment.

Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from that service?

Many thanks!

Feel free to visit my website - visit for Mini goldendoodle puppies Content

Anonymous said...

Best to usе in thе rеѕt of eight уeaгѕ, SΕNЅA authoг Dr.

Ѕo how was Ӏ gаining weight and loοk at Αcіd
Аlkalinе Diet for гaspbеrгy ketoneѕThοsе who have bеen manufactuгed to reduсe
body mаss indeх for all patients.
Ϻany рeoρlе ωho worκout on a low cаloriе
ԁіets or supplements; thе beginnings of
the hіgh temperaturе.

my web sitе; ketoneraspberrytips.com

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm
definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.


Here is my web site golden retriever black lab mix

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward
to new posts.

Here is my web page; golden retriever black lab mix

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon every
day. It's always exciting to read articles from other writers and use something from their sites.

Here is my web-site :: awesome golden retriever mix puppy facts

Anonymous said...

Your style is very unique compared to other people I have read
stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this blog.

My site ... helpful golden retriever health issues details

Anonymous said...

These are really wonderful ideas in about blogging.
You have touched some nice things here. Any way keep up wrinting.



Here is my blog useful blonde golden retriever information

Anonymous said...

I hardly drop comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here Untitled.
And I actually do have a few questions for you if you don't mind. Could it be simply me or does it look like some of the remarks look like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of your shared sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Also visit my web blog; full article

Anonymous said...

Just wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your
submit is simply cool and that i can think you are a professional on this
subject. Fine together with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to stay up to date with
coming near near post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.


Feel free to surf to my homepage - recommended site

Anonymous said...

Howdy I am so grateful I found your webpage, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now
and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post and a all round
interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have saved it and
also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
back to read more, Please do keep up the great jo.

Also visit my blog Full Article

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website
yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

my website click reference

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your website.. Great colors & theme.
Did you create this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm planning to create my very own blog and would love to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Appreciate it!

Here is my site: full article

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog you have got here.. It's difficult to find high quality writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Take a look at my blog post extra resources

Anonymous said...

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted
at this website is actually nice.

Look into my blog post: handy black labrador golden retriever facts