Followers

April 13, 2013

In the news

Its been an interesting week with a new window into what is France.

We have had a problem on our street for the past decade, its been OUR problem for only a year, and  its been entertaining in a strange way.  It seems that the neighboorhood we moved into is "transitional". It has for the past ten years been a place where one could procure drugs.
www.sudouest.fr.gif
The scene is an urban one, there are retail level drug dealers that like our block. They are discreet to a point, but they are always there, from 10 am till 2 am, which means they live on less sleep than I do. The problem is that as the night rolls along, they get more and more inebriated, loud, and often start arguments amongst themselves and their clientele, which is great theater, except when you are trying to sleep or trying to get to your front door.  We have all called the police from time to time, and they come and check id's and frisk for contraband, but in France one has the right to drink and to loiter, as long as they are not drunk or holding drugs.  So the police can't do much. So we in the hood, formed an association, and put up posters that stated that we are watching the dealers and that we are taking pictures and that the clients photos will end up on our new Facebook page "deal Safari", all as a threat. We never did put up pictures of individuals, although we have them and intended to, but what happened next, was the local paper, SudOuest, got the story, and within 24 hours everyone else had it too.  There were film crews from 4 national news outlets, 2 national radio shows, Figaro and LeMonde and tomorrow we will be on the 60 minutes of France, creatively called 66 minutes!  Patricia is the "secretary" of our association. Yesterday, we had three camera crews in our home, interviewing her and filming the photos that Oscar had taken.  These have all gone National, Oscar thinks he's famous and that he should have been paid. And today I was at a meeting with the chief of police, the Southwest France Drug Brigadeer, and several others from brass to narcs.  I was actually introduced as "Mr McBain, whos wife speaks french very well"  (I was being too quiet).  Plenty of friends have called us and even my barber saw the news.
It seems that the story is of national interest because we are taking the problem into our own hands and we are using social media (Facebook).  There have been surveys taken and 76% of the respondants seem to support us, but there is a vocal minority that is complaining that we are "denouncing" innocent people and that we should leave this to the (overburdened) authorities.

Its been a whirlwind of activity, but at least the dealers have stayed awayfor a week, we will see how long this quiet lasts.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's definately a great deal to learn about this topic. I like all of the points you have made.

My web blog ... Recommended Reading

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He used to be entirely right.

This post actually made my day. You cann't consider simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

Here is my web page :: Go To My Blog

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this web
site needs much more attention. I'll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the information!

Look into my web blog Golden Retriever Lab Mix Pictures

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit
and sources back to your website? My blog site is in the very same
area of interest as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
Please let me know if this alright with you. Cheers!


Here is my website :: useful information golden retrievers info

Anonymous said...

Hello, this weekend is nice for me, for the reason that this point in time i am reading this great informative piece of writing
here at my house.

my web page: Outstanding Golden Retriever Obedience Facts

Anonymous said...

It's in fact very complex in this busy life to listen news on Television, so I simply use world wide web for that reason, and obtain the most up-to-date news.

Also visit my web-site; Click To Read More

Anonymous said...

I don't know whether it's just me or if everybody else experiencing
problems with your site. It appears like some of the
text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please
comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
This might be a problem with my internet browser because
I've had this happen previously. Kudos

Here is my site - excellent golden retriever puppy pics stuff

Anonymous said...

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i
came to “return the favor”.I'm trying to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

Stop by my web site; recommended Reading

Anonymous said...

Hello, I read your blog daily. Your story-telling style is witty, keep up
the good work!

Here is my weblog ... Click Resources

Anonymous said...

This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something that helped me. Thanks!

my web blog - get breed golden retriever info

Anonymous said...

Greate post. Keep posting such kind of info on your blog.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hi there, You've done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this web site.

Here is my web page: awesome Golden Retriever lab mix puppies info

Anonymous said...

What's up, I check your new stuff regularly. Your writing style is awesome, keep it up!

My web blog ... Full Report

Anonymous said...

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
twitter group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

my weblog ... Golden Retriever Lab Mix Puppy

Anonymous said...

I do not leave a bunch of responses, however i did some searching and wound
up here "In the news". And I do have a few questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or does it look as if like a few of the responses appear as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I would like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you make a list of all of your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Feel free to visit my web page ... wikipedia reference

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased to find this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely liked every little bit of it and I have you book marked to see new things on your blog.

Feel free to surf to my page - golden retriever lab mix puppy

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the
images on this blog loading? I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at my blog post; cool mini Goldendoodle breeder facts

Anonymous said...

Fantastic website. Plenty of useful info here. I'm sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you to your sweat!

Look into my blog post; helpful poodle mix puppies content

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an post he/she keeps the thought of a
user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
So that's why this post is great. Thanks!

Here is my page: helpful blonde golden retrievers tips

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic
but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha
plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Also visit my blog post - go to my site

Anonymous said...

This piece of writing will assist the internet viewers for
building up new blog or even a blog from start to end.


Feel free to visit my web site ... fantastic golden-retriever-guide.com information

Anonymous said...

Superb, what a web site it is! This web site provides
useful facts to us, keep it up.

Here is my webpage - lab golden Retriever mix

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be actually
something that I think I would by no means understand.
It seems too complex and very vast for me.

I'm looking ahead for your next put up, I will try to get the hang of it!

Feel free to visit my site ... vakantiewoning huren

Anonymous said...

This one iѕ ωhаt you ωant to turn into thе caгpet.
Using an Weight Loss Pills That Work program.
Recovery and survіval are both reduсеd with Wеight Loss Pills
That Wοrκ. Aromatheraρу - Ϲertain
essentіаl oils inсluding clarу
ѕаge may hеlp to imρrove the height during the daу.
The American Сollegе of Sportѕ Medicine
Center at Neω York's Hospital for Special Surgery, says research.

my website :: greencoffeesiteme.net